Well, this is what I've learned:
1. Content, content, content --strong content updated often is probably numero uno. I have some awesome regular readers who have been uber-supportive and have let me know how much they enjoy my posts. I feel a responsibility to keep delivering the goods.
2. Pictures are powerful! I would say 90% of my virgin traffic finds me via Google image search.
3. Make friends! The power of cross blogging & having links to your site from sister/brother websites should not be under-estimated.
3. Whenever possible (and when it is appropriate) refer back to past content with a clickable link (keep reading for an example). Plus advertising to readers your top posts/articles as a regular feature of your site is also great (see sidebar).
4. An intuitive, clear and snazzy layout helps bigtime. I see a lot of sites with picture-backgrounds that make the text near impossible to read. When it comes to what's behind your words, keep it clean.
But if you have a blog or other website and aren't tracking stats I highly recommend Statcounter. It is a great deal. Now, to make this post easier to find, here are some pictures of cute kitties. Enjoy!
|Creative Commons/Free to Share. Photographer: Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz|
|Creative Commons/Public Domain.|
|Creative Commons/Free to Share. Photographer: Stephan Brunet|